Director, Music Copyright
Universal Music Group | Nashville, TN
Posted here August 6
t’s an exciting time to join UMG as we continue shaping the future of global music entertainment. Home to some of the world’s biggest artists.
You’ll experience the following perks as a full-time UMG employee...
- Competitive Benefits – Your comprehensive benefits package will offer Medical, Dental, & Vision, as well as 30+days of PTO, a 401k savings plan with company match, & more.
- Employee Development – We’re invested in growing your career within UMG. Your engagement in L&D programs will help expand your skill set. Also, you’ll be the first to be considered when new roles open.
- Culture and Environment – You’ll enjoy our branded offices that feature UMG artists and music 24/7, employee lounges complete with video games, musical instruments, couches, free soda and coffee, free merchandise, & more.
- Social Responsibility – Your good works and engagement in various causes will be amplified by UMG’s donation-match programs, strengthening our impact throughout the world.
This role has ultimate responsibility for the successful management of the copyright processes and people that provide accurate data entry of agreement data into UMPG core administration system, ensuring that data is represented according to UMPG global standards.
This role will manage the full end to end copyright value chain including conflicts, sampling, copyright assignment and work registration to the US Copyright Office. The person will need to develop and have a full understanding of UMPG end to end processes and data, including the royalty cycle, work delivery and entry including the monitoring of the work registration process to local and international recipients of UMPG registration data.
The Director will be experienced at setting and meeting deadlines, measuring performance and reporting to senior management. This person will lead the team in the research and resolution of data error and anomalies, responding in a timely manner to internal and external customers. They will have proven experience in developing and delivering work-plans and project timelines with the ability to make the right decisions under pressure.
The position reports to VP Administration North America, Global Admin and is based in Franklin, working alongside with the VP US Copyright and Senior Director NA Copyright
- Manages and supports the NA Administration Services Senior Managers
- Manage the workload and workflow across all royalty processes, setting priorities appropriately
- Ensure accurate and timely data entry of all agreement data
- Sign-off and authorize agreement and work data to support downstream business processes
- Monitor and track agreement MDRC (also known as ‘product guarantees’)
- Oversee sampling activities
- Research and answer requests from the internal business teams, Business Affairs, A&R, Finance, Film & TV
- Research and answer requests from external parties, writers, managers and collection societies
- Use volume and performance metrics data to actively monitor performance
- Manage the Jira workflow for the NA Administration team
- Provide constructive leadership, active management and mentoring to all NA Admin team members, developing them as professionals to deliver increasingly high standards
- Management of the team to ensure the successful delivery of internal/external service levels
- Continuously seek to improve and streamline processes and increase efficiency
- Develop and maintain the necessary relationships across the business to ensure optimal service to the business
- Work as an active and contributory member of the NA Administration Team, participate in the development of on-going service improvements, data standards, workflow and process flow modifications and document file maintenance
- Ad hoc projects and responsibilities as required
- The ability to work on a day to day basis without daily direction, self-manage the team through individual tasks and priorities
- Strong ability to explain financials and analysis including royalty calculations and performance metrics
- Follows through on open issues through to resolution, meets deadlines in an efficient and effective way
- Ensure the NA Administration team operates as a team, making sure the team has a full understanding of the end to end business and value chain.
- Promote a customer orientated culture improving client service and relations
- Motivated and open to change with the ability to bring new and practical ideas
- Know when to delegate tasks and deliver quality output.
- Communicate and express issues in a clear and logical way to colleagues with various level of expertise
- Excellent MS Office skills, particularly Excel as well as being comfortable learning to extract data from customized systems
- Highly experienced in managing large teams, setting of timelines and priorities
- Experienced in effectively monitoring and managing performance issues
- Experienced at creating and building work plans, project plans, setting goals and meeting targets
View full listing and apply here.
Subscribe to the Music Biz Besties Job Forum and get email updates with new listings every Monday.
New on the blog...