Managing Editor, Music WQXR
New York Public Radio | New York, NY
Posted here August 27
New York Public Radio's mission is to make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the soul more joyful through excellent audio programming that is deeply rooted in New York.
WQXR is the #1 classical radio station in the United States, reaching millions of listeners monthly via terrestrial radio, digital streaming, and social media. We are creating a movement that redefines what classical music means today by inviting a larger, more diverse audience into its magic. One of the ways we’ll do this is by developing a strong editorial voice that brings our unique perspective to our website and all digital platforms.
WQXR is looking for an innovative digital leaver with a journalism background and a commitment to classical music, you are convinced that anyone can love classical!
As WQXR’s Managing Editor, Music, you will be responsible for all content on WQXR.org and its affiliated sites. You will work with the SVP, Music and VP, Programming to develop and execute on a content strategy that will serve WQXR’s existing fans and help develop new audiences for classical music with compelling and insightful coverage
The Managing Editor has proven themselves as an exceptional communicator with an incredible eye for writing and editing. They've got a knack for penning a great headline and matching it to an unforgettable image. They can spot a trend from a mile off and know how to break into those conversations while maintaining a brand voice. They have the ability to lead a creative team and a drive to experiment with new approaches to an old genre. They are versed in AP style, believe in deadlines and how to meet them.
- Work collaboratively with the WQXR team to develop content strategy for WQXR.org
- Create style guide for the site
- Maintain editorial calendar and lead contributors to hit publishing deadlines
- Collaborate with radio team to ensure the site accurately reflects on-air programming and encourages further listening
- Contribute content for the site as needed
- Copy edit for the site as needed
- Stay up-to-the-minute on industry trends and be a passionate learner about what’s working for music fans in the digital age
- Lead a team of contributors (both internal and external)
- Track user data against company goals
Necessary skills and experience:
- 5 years+ leading content team as an editor for a digital or print publication
- Proven experience as a music/arts writer and reporter
- Deep knowledge of the classical music world, with a special focus on New York City's arts scene
- Comfortable using data as a tool to inform editorial decisions
- Established commitment to making classical music more accessible to the general public
View full listing and apply here.
Subscribe to the Music Biz Besties Job Forum and get email updates with new listings every Monday.
New on the blog...