Music Data Manager
Netflix | Los Angeles, CA
Posted here July 23
With over 125 Million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it is an exciting time to work at Netflix. Our international efforts have brought Netflix around the globe to virtually all countries and we are excited to bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers around the globe.
Netflix seeks a seasoned Music Data Manager to join the Music Group, part of the Business & Legal Affairs Team based in Los Angeles. The Music Group has global responsibility for all legal and business affairs issues connected with Netflix’s use of music and has three distinct verticals studio; distribution; data, technology & rights management. The first two verticals encompass the global production of Netflix Originals (commissioning composers, negotiating licenses with production music libraries, music publishers and record labels), and the distribution of Netflix content to customers all over the world (negotiating and managing licenses with collective management organisations). As a producer of Original content, Netflix is becoming an owner of music and has established its own music publishing company to manage these rights. This role is part of the third vertical, Data, Technology & Rights Management, which is integral to every part of our work on music licensing. It includes cue sheet management systems; contract administration systems; financial & other performance metrics; publishing catalogue administration; systems design; and more.
The successful candidate will enjoy sifting through heaps of data to help the Music Group answer crucial business questions. They will work closely with the Music Group to gain an in-depth understanding of the business processes to identify and address operational, financial and technological opportunities/risks. Netflix is driving an innovative global approach to its management and licensing of music rights, and this exciting and challenging role will play an essential part in the implementation of our plans. They will join a diverse team of industry experts and will be expected to have a deep curiosity for the ins and outs of music copyright administration. The ideal candidate is someone who is looking to excel in an environment where freedom and responsibility allows them to make an impact.
Reporting to the Manager of Music Data, Tech & Rights, the Music Data Manager will be responsible for
- Serving as a liaison between the Music Group and engineers to gather business requirements needed for system modifications, enhancement and implementations.
- Collaborating closely with developers to implement requirements and provide necessary guidance to testers during QA process.
- Working with the Music Group and other internal stakeholders to design, build and implement data management processes.
- Working closely with internal and external stakeholders to implement strategic initiatives key to our continued success with music licensing.
- Creating reports and dashboards for users on large datasets.
- Managing the implementation of systems for the delivery of data to external stakeholders.
- Ingesting data from third party service companies.
- Curating our in-house data.
- Contributing to global industry discussions and initiatives on data standards.
- Driving transparency and operational excellence through our internal and external processes.
The desired candidate will have
- Experience manipulating and analyzing complex data with SQL or Excel.
- Experience working with data formats like JSON, CSV, and XML.
- Strong technology and database management skills.
- Hands on experience of data management, project management, data processing, working with engineering teams and managing a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Practical knowledge of the music industry (e.g., performing rights organisations; music copyright database management).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and judgment.
- Ability to work effectively cross-functionally, think proactively, and drive results.
- Ability to read and interpret complex contracts and to discuss data concepts in contractual negotiations.
- An understanding of legal documents, media rights terminology, financial terminology and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure with diligence, organization, and minimal supervision.
- Excellent judgment, flexibility, confidence, and a sense of humor.
- Nice to have Experience in building reports and dashboards in Tableau or similar reporting tools
- Nice to have Coding experience in one or more programming languages
View full listing and apply here.
Subscribe to the Music Biz Besties Job Forum and get email updates with new listings every Monday.
New on the blog...