Senior Director, Museum Services
Country Music Foundation | Nashville, TN
Posted here January 29
The Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum has an opening for a full-time exempt Senior Director of Museum Services. This staff member is a member of nine-person Executive Committee chaired by the CEO that is charged with creating and overseeing the strategy for the Museum and its four divisions, including Sales and Marketing, Museum Services, Financial Services and Operations, and Development.
Located in the heart of downtown Nashville, the Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum documents and interprets the history of country music—a musical genre and culture central to the identity of the city, the state, and the nation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the museum proudly combines subject expertise, ambitious research, and preservation of an unparalleled collection with expressions of creativity in music, art, and history. The museum collects artifacts that illustrate the evolving history and traditions of country music while providing diverse learning opportunities. The core exhibit follows the story of country music from its folk beginnings through its emergence as a commercial art form. Rotating exhibits examine a broad range of topics, from country classics to ultra-contemporary and emerging artists in American Currents. The museum owns Hatch Show Print, a letterpress print shop opened in 1879, and it operates Historic RCA Studio B, where Elvis Presley and many others recorded.
Summary of Position
The Senior Director of Museum Services will be responsible for the planning, design, content, and fabrication of exhibits, audio visual and interactive elements in the 50,000 sq. ft. gallery spaces and ancillary properties. Other duties include management of museum assets that include collections; support for the development of educational programs and partnerships for underserved audiences in the Nashville community. Work routinely with development office to pursue grant opportunities to support a rapidly developing Digital Assets Management program; provide content and support for public and educational programs, marketing and advertising.
Day-to-day responsibilities include supervision of an aggressive exhibit program (12+ annually); a diverse and world-class collection, (200,000+ musical recordings; costumes, instruments, published ephemera, scrap books, 400,000+ photo images, 70,000 moving images/films/videos; periodicals, sheet music, original art, sculpture, books, cars, buses, and assorted other); an historic poster collection and reference library: including periodicals, scrap books, song folios and industry documents. (2.5+ million Items) The Museum draws from this collection to populate exhibits, programs, provide research for special projects (books, records), and the license of assets to provide additional streams of revenue.
Specific Job Duties
- Management of curatorial and exhibit production staff, writers, researchers and programmers and grant-funded staff.
- Administration of collection and lending policies and supervision of major construction/renovation and development projects, as needed.
- Supervise and direct the development of exhibit and special project content; develop budgets and schedules and supervise the planning, design, fabrication and installation of all exhibits, both in this museum and in satellite exhibitions with museum partners.
- Long-range planning, development, for design/fabrication/installation of exhibits up to 5,000 square feet each. Adherence to budget and scheduling is critical.
- Relationship management and development of collection programs with donors, artists, and their teams.
- The ability to represent the Museum and its mission on-camera and in media/public speaking events is also expected.
- Supervise creation and design for products ranging from books and records to catalogues.
- Provide editorial support and copy editing for publications including exhibit graphics, catalogues, academic journals, radio and television advertising, print campaigns, and electronic interactive exhibits.
View full listing and apply here.
Subscribe to the Music Biz Besties Job Forum and get email updates with new listings every Monday.
New on the blog...